When one reads the athletic accomplishments of this decorated athlete, one would think it belongs to a veteran track and fielder but if you look closer, you would be surprised to learn that the wonderful accomplishments belongs to someone who is only 19 years of age!
Devynne is in her third year at Purdue University and since her short time at the University, she has been phenomenally successful and has certainly made a name for herself; among other accomplishments, Devynne has broken six school records!
For those accomplishments in track and field, Purdue University has named Devynne one of two Athletes of the Year for the 2014 – 2015 school year. (The other male Awardee is in Diving). According to Purdue University records, Charlton along with another athlete are only the second set of underclassmen (freshman/sophomore) to win the Purdue Athlete of the Year Awards in the same year.
Devynne is also one of seven athletes presented with the University’s “Durham Brothers Leadership Award” which honors underclassmen who have exhibited outstanding leadership both on and off the field through positive attitude, strong work ethic and overall commitment excellence.
Some of Charlton’s University’s track accomplishments include:-
• Breaking the Indoors 60-meter dash and 60-meter hurdles school records.
• Breaking the Outdoors 100m dash school record which had stood for 29 years.
• Won the program’s first ever Big Ten Championship in the outdoors 100m
• Breaking the 100m hurdles school record.
• A member of the 4x100m relay team that shattered the school record.
• A member of the University’s record breaking Shuttle Hurdle relay team
• Set the school record in the indoor 200m dash with a time of 24.45 seconds.
• First 100m hurdles First Team All-American since women began competing in NCAA-sponsored championships in 1983, and just the third ever.
• Her efforts with the 4x100m relay team earned the group the program's first-ever appearance in a national championship final and First Team All-America honors in the event for the first time in school history.
• Winning two Big Ten titles
• Earning three All-America honors.
• Purdue Women’s Track “Outstanding Athlete of the Year” for two consecutive years
Prior to her attending Purdue University, Charlton also made a name for herself in The Bahamas having medaled at Carifta Games, Jr. CAC and Jr. PanAm Championships. She was also named All-Bahamian Scholar Award winner from 2011 to 2013. Charlton also competed for The Bahamas at the 2012 & 2014 IAAF World Junior Championships and 2013 World Youth Championships. Devynne is the National Co-Record Holder in the 100m hurdles.
Devynne made her senior debut this summer representing the Bahamas at the Pan Am Senior Championships, NACAC Senior Championships and was the youngest member of the Bahamas World Championships Team.
Charlton is the daughter of David and Laura Charlton. Dad “Dave” and high school coach was recently inducted in the Howard University’s Hall of Fame for his accomplishments in track while at the University. Mom is a very successful business woman who along with her husband, also manage The Star Trackers Track & Field Club where Devynne got her start.
Let us congratulate Purdue’s University Female Athlete of the Year – Miss Devynne Charlton!
Continue to make Bahamians proud Devynne!